Saturday, August 15, 2009

Bab's and the Giant Protest

We just got back from the San Jose protest at Babs Boxer's book signing. I only have one complaint. IT. WAS. TOO. HOT. I suppose it's because I live in Pacifica, but I'm just not good with 85 degree weather. It was a beautiful day, but the sun was unrelenting to my coastal sensibilities.

Otherwise, it was great fun. Even with a couple Liberals who would insist on engaging me. Let's see. I was called a liar, and a Rush robot. One guy said that I just listen to Rush and do whatever he says instead of thinking for myself. His women said that Rush Limbaugh trades on fear and hate. I suggested that if she actually listened to him she'd know that wasn't true. Naturally, she claimed she does.

Why do they do that when it's so clearly a lie?

Her man announced that the Constitution was written over 200 year ago, for agrarian times and didn't apply to our current modern culture. Seriously. HE. SAID. THAT.

I should have countered with, "Do you mean that individual liberty is an obsolete idea?", but he was beyond talking to at that point, and did I mention I was over-heated...?

Another Liberal guy sited Alexander Hamilton as proof that the "Founding Fathers" didn't consider government as the necessary-evil-enemy-of-the-people that they themselves made clear.

Sigh.

When I told him I'd rather have freedom than even "good" health care if it was run by the State....he just looked at me.

It's like "freedom" is a word in a foreign language that they don't understand.

Same guy insisted that Europe has great health care and that everybody there loves it. Faced with three different groups of people who said they had friends, especially in Britain, that hated it, he wasn't fazed at all. He's got the talking points down, and he's sticking to them. Facts be damned.

Here's more or less how his argument ran:

1) Liberal: "The health care system is horribly broken. We need to reform it."

2) Me:" I agreed that health care needs to be reformed, but not by turning it over to the State."

4) Liberal: "The STATE already runs over half of our health care, so what's the problem?"

5) Me: "I thought you said the system was horribly broken? If the STATE is running over half of it and it's horribly broken, why do you want to let them run MORE of it?"

6) Liberal: "Well, they probably run less than half, actually."

I don't think they think their arguments through very well.

But we far outnumbered them in any case, I heard one of the organizers estimate that a thousand people showed up! So while we didn't invade Barnes & Noble, or seek to confront Babs, it's not possible that she didn't know we were there, and that's all that matters.

We did stick around until she left...there was a town crier going up and down the sidewalk giving us updates. And a big crowd gathered at the driveway when she was driven out...

All was peaceful and friendly and fun. Lot's of horn honking and waves and thumbs-up of approval from cars passing on the big street we lined.

Another day, another protest.

God, I rather be home playing with my cats, blogging and staying cool under the lovely overcast skies of my coastal town...

But, hey, the Republic is at stake, and considering that...and what the Founders risked to create this amazing, God-blessed, divinely inspired miracle called "America", and what so many more have fought and died to preserve and protect, it's the least we can do, right?

Let's all get out there and give them hell! And TAKE OUR COUNTRY BACK!

wtp

No comments:

Post a Comment